Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Shape Button Snake-- Great for Hand/Eye Cordination!

 
This a fun and very simple busy bag activity that I put together for my little one. A busy bag, is pretty much exactly like it sounds,  an activity in a bag that will keep a child busy when need be. Some busy bags are educational, others are just fun. Think fun busy work in a bag! My kids have well over 100 busy bags, I keep most of them away, until we need them. I have a huge tote bag full of busy bags in my car for when we go out to eat or have a doctor's appointment. They really come in handy! I even have some that I keep for traveling and long car rides.  This shape button snake is great to help with hand/eye coordination, learning shapes, color recognition, patterning, and learning the basics of buttoning. This busy bag does not cost much to make, it can be made with scraps that you have on hand or you can pick up the items from a craft or dollar store.
Making this busy bag does require a tiny bit of simple sewing, you have to sew a button on to a piece of ribbon and sew the other end of the ribbon to a piece of felt. The rest is simple, just cut shapes out of felt and cut a small opening in the middle of each shape for the button to go through.
 
 
Give your child the ribbon snake and have them make the snake eat through each shape.
 
 
This activity could easily go along with The Very Hungry Caterpillar too!
 

While your child plays with this, you can teach them the different colors and the different shapes.
Older children could practice making a pattern with the shapes or the colors as they put them on. 
This is a fun and easy way to learn, don't you think?

2 comments:

  1. Busy bags remind me of when I was younger and read the Babysitters Club Series by Ann Martin. All the girls had what they called Kid Kits that they brought with them when babysitting, and all their charges loved them!

    greenafy on SB (follow me 14)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute. I am going to have to do this. My littlest son loves all things shapes!

    ReplyDelete