Saturday, April 27, 2013

Sensory Fun with Ivory Soap

Today, my oldest went hiking with his Boy Scout Troop. My youngest was heartbroken, I had to find something to put a smile on his face. A bar of Ivory Soap did it. That .33 cents I spent to buy the bar of soap gave my son over 2 hours of enjoyment and play! This was an awesome little "experiment," not only was my 4 year old amused and amazed, but I was too!

 
 


All you need is a bar of Ivory soap.
 


Unwrap it and cut it into 4 pieces.
 

Microwave one piece at a time on a microwave safe plate for 30 seconds and watch it grow. Scrape the soap fluff into a container or sink for play.
Repeat with the remaining pieces.
 
 
Let them play and take notice of the different textures of the soap and how quickly it changes.
 

First, it is almost like a dough...
 
 
As it cools, it gets very powdery.
 

My son added some men to play with for added fun.
 

After awhile, I added 2 cups of water to the bin. The water was filled with bubbles, which he thought was great.
 

As time went by, the soapy water turned into a paste.
 
It is crazy how many different textures and consistencies you can get from a simple bar of soap!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment