Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Caramelized Onion Penne-- From Kitchen to Table in Just 30 Minutes!!

This is a go to recipe in my house, especially when we receive unexpected company. Caramelized Onion Penne is delicious and it only takes about 30 minutes to make, although it tastes like it took a lot longer to make! I almost always have everything to make this on hand. I included some of my go to substitutions as well. I usually always at least double this recipe to make 1 pound of pasta, in times of company, I triple it or quadruple it.
 
 

Caramelized Onion Penne

*makes 2-3 Servings

Ingredients:

1/2 pound of penne pasta
kosher salt
2 Tablespoons Extra-virgin olive oil
2 large onions, sliced thinly
1 bay leaf
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup of heavy cream
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (I sometimes substitute Italian Cheese Blend or Parmesan Cheese)
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley (I sometimes substitute dry parsley)

Directions:

Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat. Sal the water and add the pasta. Cook to al dente and drain.

While the water is coming to a boil and the pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook the onions until they are very soft and light caramel brown in color, about 20 minutes.

Stir in cream and cook until heated through. Remove the bay leaf, then add pasta and cheese and toss to coat. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with parsley and serve.

1 comment: